- This statement sets out the privacy and data protection policies of THE DAVIDSON PRIZE, run by The Alan Davidson Foundation. All references to ‘our’, ‘us’ or ‘we’ within this policy are deemed to refer to THE DAVIDSON PRIZE and its owner The Alan Davidson Foundation.
- THE DAVIDSON PRIZE is run by The Alan Davidson Foundation a charity registered in the UK (1160259). Our registered office is Studio C, 21 Conduit Place, London W2 1HS.
- THE DAVIDSON PRIZE may revise this Privacy Statement at any time. You should ensure that you regularly review this Privacy Statement.
- This Privacy Statement was most recently revised in August 2020.
What is the purpose of this document?
THE DAVIDSON PRIZE is a "data controller". This means that we are responsible for deciding how we hold and use personal information about our Data Subjects.
It makes you aware of how and why your personal data will be used and how long it will usually be retained for. It provides you with certain information that must be provided under the General Data Protection Regulation ((EU) 2016/679) (GDPR).
Who is this document for?
This privacy notice applies to any person that may have their data collected or processed by THE DAVIDSON PRIZE. This may apply to you as a THE DAVIDSON PRIZE participant, member, partner, service user or a visitor to our site. It may also apply to subjects of research undertaken by THE DAVIDSON PRIZE, or referrals by third parties.
As an organisation registered and operating in the European Union, we are obligated to comply with the General Data Protection Regulation ((EU) 2016/679) (GDPR). These obligations extend to all individuals for which we hold personal data, including those based outside of the EU.
Data Protection Principals
We will comply with data protection law and principles, which means that your data will be:
- Used lawfully, fairly and in a transparent way.
- Collected only for valid purposes that we have clearly explained to you and not used in any way that is incompatible with those purposes.
- Relevant to the purposes we have told you about and limited only to those purposes.
- Accurate and kept up to date.
- Kept only as long as necessary for the purposes we have told you about.
- Kept securely.
Your Personal Data
The kind of information we hold about you:
Personal data, or personal information, means any information about an individual from which that person can be identified. It does not include data where the identity has been removed (anonymous data).
In the course of activities covered by this privacy statement, we may collect, store, and use the following categories of personal information about you.
Your basic contact details, including:
- Your name
- Phone number
- Postal address
- Information about your company or institution
- Job title
Records of your activity with THE DAVIDSON PRIZE:
- Entrants to THE DAVIDSON PRIZE
- Prize support queries and correspondence
- Any consent for further marketing communications and preferences
How we collect your personal information
THE DAVIDSON PRIZE may collect information about you in the following ways:
- When you register to www.thedavidsonprize.com (or any site or application that uses the thedavidsonprize.com registration process).
- When you register for a THE DAVIDSON PRIZE event, or someone registers your place on your behalf
- When you make an application to any Awards scheme administered by THE DAVIDSON PRIZE
- When you subscribe to our email marketing and/or provide your marketing preferences
- When you contact us for the purposes of customer support
- Referrals made by third parties, which can include credits against winning award entries, suggestions for potential judges and suggestions for great work that should be considered for a THE DAVIDSON PRIZE
- During general use of our website and web applications, via “cookies”
We may complete research or other data validation activities to ensure that the personal information we hold is correct and up to date, and this may add to and augment the personal information originally provided.
How we will use your personal information
THE DAVIDSON PRIZE will use your personal information to provide services to you. For instance, after entering our Awards we will use your details to confirm your application, contact you if there are problems with your entry and provide important updates throughout the selection process.
Additionally, THE DAVIDSON PRIZE will use your personal information for our own legitimate interests. This will include aggregating statistics on our users and customers to help develop THE DAVIDSON PRIZE’s services and marketing plans.
You can request that we suspend our use of your personal data for these purposes at any time (see Contacting Us Regarding Your Personal Data), although we may need to consider the rights and freedoms of other data subjects and our own obligations.
We will seek your explicit (“opt-in”) consent to be contacted by THE DAVIDSON PRIZE, covering:
- Direct marketing communications about THE DAVIDSON PRIZE products and services that may be of interest to you or your business;
- Using your quotes, likeness or otherwise for case studies produced for Public Relations purposes;
- Sharing your personal data with third parties beyond those specified in the section Third-party service providers processing your personal information;
You may withdraw this consent at any time.
How we will store your personal data
THE DAVIDSON PRIZE takes the security of personal data extremely seriously, and has obligations under GDPR to provide appropriate protections for all the personal data it holds.
Where necessary, and in common with other websites, we use SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) encryption to ensure that information provided to us is not visible to anybody else when in transit between your computer and our servers. You can tell when SSL is in use by the presence of a small “padlock” symbol in the status bar of your web browser.
In addition, our web servers are housed behind a secure firewall that prevents access to our databases from unauthorised users. All of our servers are housed in a secure environment with high levels of physical security, and access is only permitted to a handful of security screened staff.
Third-party service providers processing your personal information
THE DAVIDSON PRIZE uses several third-party service providers for activities including data hosting, storage and processing. All our third-party service providers are required to take appropriate security measures to protect your personal information in line with our policies. We do not allow our third-party service providers to use your personal data for their own purposes. We only permit them to process your personal data for specified purposes and in accordance with our instructions.
The third-party service providers that will process your Personal Data will likely include the following:
- Easily.co.uk (for website and cloud server hosting/maintenance)
- Craft CMS (for website CMS)
- MailChimp (where you have subscribed to our email marketing)
- Google LLC (email and shared document provider, website analytics)
- Social channels such as but not limited to Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, and YouTube (online advertising)
- Jotform.com (for prize entries)
We will have appropriate data sharing agreements with all third-party service providers. Any data processing services that are located in the US will be certified under the Privacy Shield agreement (https://www.privacyshield.gov/).
Other Third Parties that we may share your personal data with
We will share your personal information with other entities in our company group as part of our regular reporting activities, in the context of a business reorganisation or group restructuring, for system maintenance support and for hosting of data.
We may also need to share your personal information with a regulator or otherwise to comply with the law.
A Cookie is a small piece of information that is placed on your computer, and is used to differentiate you from other users accessing our site. They are widely used in order to make websites work, or work more efficiently, as well as to provide information to the owners of the site. They store and sometimes track information about your use of a site.
THE DAVIDSON PRIZE uses cookie technology to make your experience on thedavidsonprize.com simple, efficient and personalised.
You can find full details of the cookies in use on our site on our dedicated cookies page: https://www.thedavidsonprize.com/cookies/
Most web browsers automatically accept cookies but, if you prefer, you can change your browser to prevent that or to notify you each time a cookie is set. You can also learn more about cookies by visiting www.allaboutcookies.org where they provide additional useful information on cookies and how to block cookies using different types of browser. Please note that by blocking or deleting cookies used on our website you may not be able to take full advantage of the services provided or use the site in the most efficient way.
We will only retain your personal information for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting or reporting requirements.
Generally we will keep your personal data for up to three years after your most recent activity with us (including logins on our website, THE DAVIDSON PRIZE entries and prize credits in your name). After this period, your personal data will be removed from our systems and files.
In some circumstances, we may anonymise your personal information so that it can no longer be associated with you, and it is no longer identifiable personal information. We may use such information without further notice to you.
Rights of Access, Correction, Erasure and Restriction
Your duty to inform us of changes
It is important that the personal information we hold about you is accurate and current. Please keep us informed if your personal information changes during your working relationship with us.
Your rights in connection with personal information
Under certain circumstances, by law you have the right to:
- Request access to your personal information (commonly known as a "data subject access request"). This enables you to receive a copy of the personal information we hold about you and to check that we are lawfully processing it.
- Request correction of the personal information that we hold about you. This enables you to have any incomplete or inaccurate information we hold about you corrected.
- Request erasure of your personal information. This enables you to ask us to delete or remove personal information where there is no good reason for us continuing to process it. You also have the right to ask us to delete or remove your personal information where you have exercised your right to object to processing (see below).
- Object to processing of your personal information where we are relying on a legitimate interest (or those of a third party) and there is something about your particular situation, which makes you want to object to processing on this ground. You also have the right to object where we are processing your personal information for direct marketing purposes.
- Request the restriction of processing of your personal information. This enables you to ask us to suspend the processing of personal information about you, for example if you want us to establish its accuracy or the reason for processing it.
- Request the transfer of your personal information to another party.
If you want to review, verify, correct or request erasure of your personal information, object to the processing of your personal data, or request that we transfer a copy of your personal information to another party, please contact THE DAVIDSON PRIZE in writing using the details in the section Contact Us.
No fee usually required
You will not have to pay a fee to access your personal information (or to exercise any of the other rights). However, we may charge a reasonable fee if your request for access is clearly unfounded or excessive. Alternatively, we may refuse to comply with the request in such circumstances.
What we may need from you
We may need to request specific information from you to help us confirm your identity and ensure your right to access the information (or to exercise any of your other rights). This is another appropriate security measure to ensure that personal information is not disclosed to any person who has no right to receive it.
Contacting Us Regarding Your Personal Data
THE DAVIDSON PRIZE have appointed a Data Privacy Manager to act as the first point of contact for Data Protection queries, complaints and compliance issues.
If you have any questions about this privacy notice, or how we handle your personal information, please contact the Data Privacy Manager:
Data Privacy Manager
THE DAVIDSON PRIZE
Alan Davidson Foundation
Studio C, 21 Conduit Place
London W2 1HS
Alternatively, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org
You have the right to make a complaint at any time to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), the UK supervisory authority for data protection issues, OR your local supervisory authority if you are located in another European Union member state.